There’s more to Niagara Falls than just the majestic falls. From haunted houses to nightclubs, check out this list of the 11 Best Things to do in Niagara Falls, Canada!
On the Canadian side of the border, Niagara Falls is Ontario’s pride and joy. Nestled right next to the border, you can see across to Niagara Falls, USA, when you stand at the falls. And while this stunning natural wonder of the world is well worth visiting, there’s so much more to do in the area than just taking a few selfies of yourself with the falls in the background.
From getting up close and personal with the majestic waterfall to exploring all there is to see and do in Clifton Hill, Niagara Falls is a must-try destination for tourists and locals alike.
From the vibrant nightlife and rich cultural history to amusement park attractions, there is no shortage of things to do here. Here’s a list of the 11 Best Things to do in Niagara Falls, Canada.
Experience the Falls Up Close
One of the top things to do in Niagara Falls is to experience the falls up close. There are several ways to do this:
- Take a ride on the Hornblower Niagara Cruises boat tour or the Maid of the Mist, which takes you to the base of the falls on an open-decked boat for an unforgettable view.
- Ride the elevator up to the observation deck at the top of the Skylon Tower and get a birdseye view of the falls and surrounding area.
- Walk alongside the falls from end to end, enjoying the manicured gardens and lovely vistas. At night, the falls are lit up, and during holidays, there are often fireworks and light shows to enjoy.
Visit the Niagara Parks Butterfly Conservatory
The Niagara Parks Butterfly Conservatory is home to more than 2,000 butterflies from around the world. Visitors can walk through the lush, tropical environment and get up close and personal with these beautiful creatures.
Try Your Luck at the Casino
Pack for a few nights and stay in one of the posh rooms or suites in this hotel and casino, and be sure to enjoy a gourmet meal at one of the hotel’s top-rated restaurants.
Take the Kids to Clifton Hill
The Clifton Hill District is a popular tourist destination in Niagara Falls, Ontario and offers a wide range of activities. It’s known for its vibrant nightlife, thrilling attractions, and delicious dining options. Here are a few things to do in the Clifton Hill District:
- Take a walk along the Street of Fun by the Falls, home to various amusement park-style rides and games, including the Niagara SkyWheel, an enormous wheel with enclosed gondolas offering some of the best views around.
- Check out the many haunted houses which offer spine-tingling walk-through tours of spooky scenarios for thrill-seekers.
- Experience the wonders of nature at the Niagara Falls Nature Center, which features live animals, interactive exhibits, and educational programs.
- Treat yourself to some pampering at the Serenity Spa by the Falls, which offers various relaxation and wellness services.
- Enjoy a refreshing boba tea or a delicious meal at one of the many restaurants in the Clifton Hill District, which offer a wide range of cuisines from which to choose.
- Take in a show at the Greg Frewin Theatre, which features magic and illusion performances by world-renowned magician Greg Frewin.
- Go shopping at the many souvenir shops and boutiques in the Clifton Hill District, where you’ll find a wide selection of Niagara Falls-themed merchandise.
Go Wine Tasting
Niagara Falls is home to more than 80 world-class wineries, making it a great destination for wine lovers. Most of them are located just a short drive away, in Niagara-on-the-Lake, a small community surrounded by wineries that are just begging to be explored.
Visit the Niagara Parks Botanical Gardens
The Niagara Parks Botanical Gardens is a beautiful green space with various plants, flowers, and trees. It’s a great place to take a leisurely stroll and enjoy the beauty of nature.
Niagara Falls is home to several top-rated golf courses, making it an excellent destination for golfers. Some top courses to consider include the Thundering Waters Golf Club, the Legends on the Niagara Golf Course, and the Niagara Falls Golf Club.
For a little less walking, check out one of the many mini-golf courses around the area.
Enjoy the Nightlife
Niagara Falls is home to a vibrant nightlife scene, with plenty of bars, clubs, and entertainment venues. Some popular spots include the Hard Rock Cafe, the Skylon Tower, and the Fallsview Casino Resort.
There are so many delicious restaurants in Niagara Falls. From family favorites like the Rainforest Cafe to Italian, Brazilian, and restaurants specializing in Canadian cuisine, the area is a true food lovers’ paradise. Feast on succulent steaks, fresh seafood, or Canadian classics like poutine and beaver tails (a pastry treat, not the tail from a beaver). There are plenty of breakfast spots to check out, too.
Year-Round Water Fun
There are three indoor waterparks in the area which offer year-round water fun for the whole family. Of course, there’s the one at Great Wolf Lodge, but the other is tucked away inside the Fallsview Hotel and offers 3 acres of indoor slides, pools, play areas, and more. Finally, the Americana Conference Resort Spa and Waterpark offers indoor waterpark features like a wave pool, plus it has a retractable roof. Day passes are usually available for those not staying at the resort.
With so much to see and do, the Clifton Hill District is a must-visit destination for anyone visiting Niagara Falls, Ontario. Whether you’re looking for thrill-seeking adventures, relaxation and pampering, or delicious dining and shopping, you’ll find it all here.
This article originally appeared on Food Drink Life.